March 2, 2022: Bandcamp puts out a press release about their “joining” Epic Games. This follows in a line of eerily similar acquisitions of companies catering to indies, namely Sketchfab and ArtStation.
There are lots of interesting topics intersecting here:
- Venture capital and the associated perverse incentives
- Antitrust and general issues with corporate consolidations
- The takeover of existing institutions, especially technical infrastructure
- The false narrative of corporations as indie and non-corporate
- Epic vs Apple and problems of platform monopoly
- Bandcamp’s correct but rare approach to piracy, which is endangered
I’ll talk more about those some day, don’t worry. For now, though, have some tweets.
Wed Mar 02 18:04:16 +0000 2022
the problem with making a good website is that sooner or later someone will offer you an un-refusable amount of money to ruin it twitter.com/Bandcamp/statu…